Lourdes at a Glance
Established in 1959, Our Lady of Lourdes Parish School exists to educate the whole child through a rich tradition of values centered academics and character development. We foster a supportive and safe community of students, families, teachers, and staff that makes a difference in our world. We focus on building family and lasting friendships infused by our belief that we belong to each other. All we do, from TK to 8th grade, emphasizes our commitment to promoting integrity and wisdom in a service oriented framework. We are Lourdes.
OUR LADY OF LOURDES
On February 11, 1858 while gathering wood near the Grotto at Massabielle, France, Bernadette Soubirous had her first encounter with an apparition of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Over the course of the following seventeen encounters they often prayed the rosary together. Our Lady brought a message of hope and healing – asking for prayers and penitence. At one of the apparitions, Bernadette was told to dig. She uncovered a spring that has continued to exhibit remarkable, sometimes miraculous healings. Annually, millions of people make pilgrimages to Lourdes, France
- In 1958, during the centennial anniversary of Mary’s appearance at Massabielle, the parish of Our Lady of Lourdes, Northridge was founded.
- In 1959, founding pastor, Msgr. Paul E. Stroup established the parish school.
- The Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary prepared, formed, and empowered the students entrusted to their care for the next forty-two years.
- By the fall of 1962, the school reached its maximum capacity of 800 students in grades one through eight.
- The first graduation was on June 9, 1963 with ninety graduates.
- In 1971, Cardinal Manning directed the school to cut back to one class per grade.
- In 1983, Mrs. Maria O’Donnell established the Kindergarten program. Fulfilling the long held dreams of Mrs. Mariellen Ambrose, the school’s founding nurse, who advocated for and fundraised to see Kindergarten become a reality.
- Peter Moran, the second pastor of Our Lady of Lourdes, saw the school through many changes including the hiring of the first lay principal, Mrs. Patty Hager, in 2001.
- Under the pastoral guidance of Fr. David Loftus, our parish school welcomed Mr. Kris Brough in 2014 as the school’s second lay principal.
- In recent years, the school has realized a 1:1 educational technology culture and initiated a dynamic Transitional Kindergarten.